Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Tales of Wal-Mart

My mother and I went to Wal-Mart after church tonight, which has become almost a weekly ritual now, and I ran into a very interesting man in the music section. He just came up and started talking about music since I was looking at cd's and just asking what kind of music I liked and that sort of thing. He was in one of the motorized chairs and I noticed a large scar on his knee. We kept talking and I learned that he had been in an airplane crash about a year ago and was in the hospital for a while. He was originally from New York but was now traveling around the country going wherever he felt like. He talked about how people in these small towns would stare at him and try to figure out what he was up to just because he had an out of state tag and looked a little suspicious. I started to wonder why we judge people like that. I know I do it. Maybe not always purposefully but to some degree I think I know someone without even talking to them. It is definatley something we all need to work on. So I challenge you all. Find someone in the mall, at a restaurant, in the grocery store and just talk to them. Don't do anything stupid of course, but just have a conversation. You never know who you might meet.

3 comments:

Table of Stone said...

I appreciate this blog. Interesting to say the least. I love talking to new people. And judging is kind of a soap box of mine.

Owl of the Desert said...

It is fun talking to random people. I know you probably don't think of me as that kinda person, but I'll just randomly start a conversation with whoever is next to me in line, or something like that.

You never know what you might find out. Like the guy you talked to - what an interesting story.

Not to mention... "Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares." Hebrews 13:2

Dani said...

I had a pretty nice conversation with a lady who works at Dillards while we were both in a very long line to pay our phone bill today.

I confess I dont' often start the conversation, but I don't mind to talk to people.

We talked about this in class tonight, how much more this is the case in the South, oddly enough. And how much worse it was in the 60s. Odd.