Friday, January 13, 2006

A Prayer for the Atheists

I was confronted by a person in my graduating class asking me if I would offer a opening and closing prayer for the graduation ceromony we are having this May. But....they said....there are rules:
1. You have to have your prayer written and approved by the school staff
2. You can't use the name "Jesus" (maybe I couldn't use God either i can't remember)

Well I said I would have to think about it but my answer would probably be no since that is nothing but a poem, not a prayer. I mean if I am not saying Jesus then who is my prayer going to?
So I thought of this little "ditty" as my "Prayer for the Atheists"

-Our father, whether it be Mother Earth or King Kong's ancestor, which may or may not be in a celestial body above our own,
-Hallowed be thy name that we will not speak.
-Thy kingdom come in a mutually beneficial way for all.
-Thy will be done as long as it dosn't infringe upon anyones rights.
-GIVE US THIS DAY OUR DAILY BREAD! Just as long as it is a free, and tax deductible gift.
-And forgive us our debts, please.
-Lead us not into temptation unless it is really the persons free choice to partake in it,
and deliver us from "evil" as defined by a persons choice to a different path than a "good" person and is neither wrong nor right.
-For thine is the kingdom as long as it is in accord with Seperation of Church and State,
-And the power as long as it isn't exerted on the weaker man,
-And the glory as long it is shared equally among all people,
-For ever, or as long as desired by the majority,
(Culturally accepted affirmation inserted here)

7 comments:

Elvis said...

That is awesome!

joe4444 said...

Yea, my fellow Democrats are just getting way too liberal, as far as religious issues go....

Owl of the Desert said...

That is a really funny poem, and worth thinking about and pondering. I'm glad they asked you, but it is unfortunate that they asked you to follow "rules."

Table of Stone said...

I have an opinion on this..tell you later. Hilarious poem....hilarious

Lynn Bruce said...

Wow. That was fabulous. Can't wait to show my dad. Bwah ha ha.

rachel tsunami said...

wow, Adam. You nailed it. May I reprint?

Unknown said...

Of course you can reprint. You can even make them into leaflets and scatter them throughout the streets if you would like.